Friday 6 January 2012

birds.

Since I have re-embarked on this journey of self-discovery recently, I have been tapping into some of the spiritual beliefs which I used to hold. Not necessarily religious ones, simply feelings that seem to be rooted somewhere other than just my mind.


One of those feelings is that inside of me there is an angel, who is made up of all the wonderful people who have supported me, loved me, encouraged me, and inspired me since I was born. I believe that when I die, my angel will carry on. If I pass on the love and care that has been given to me, then maybe I might help to grow somebody else's angel too.


So, that's why I have a tattoo of wings on my back. To remind me of all the positive things that are inside of me, and inside of others. 


Sort of linked to angels, I have also had a fascination and love of birds. I know it's cheesy but the line in Forrest Gump always seems to sum it up - "Dear God, make me a bird." If I could come back as something else after I die, it would be a bird. It seems like a childish and floaty thing to say, but it really is a deep, deep desire that I become a bird one day. 


So... on a tattoo related theme (because people say that they're addictive!) I feel like I want to symbolise this desire in some way that is tangible. In my mind, I visualise it being a small flock of about six or seven birds (sort of dove-shaped birds) all flying, silhouetted. The big decision, though, is where to have them. As I am going into the medical profession, I have to look "normal" and "respectable" by not having tattoos anywhere on show while I am at work, which is fine. But it makes this choice a little more tricky! In fact, I'd even appreciate suggestions!


Today I thought I'd play around with a bit of face-paint and draw a little practice bird.



Obviously it wouldn't be on my arm, and I imagine each bird would be smaller than this, but it's a start! A fresh, new, exciting start...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I really appreciate your thoughts! x